he ruined her, destroyed her when she needed him the most.

she decides to follow her best friend to Edmonton,

where she meets one who she believes is different from the rest,

but realizes that he might be the exact opposite.



Monday, November 1, 2010

he is everything inside of you that you wish you could be - four

I got the job. I loved it here, everything about it. The boys were always back and forth to visit, and they were almost like my second family. Magnus and I were getting closer every day, I loved that kid. When I’m with him and Taylor, I feel like the safest and luckiest girl in the world. Who wouldn’t want to be me?

“Like my new shirt?” I asked Magnus turning around so he could see the 91.

He just smirked, “It’s perfect”

I continued folding the Penner t-shirts when my heart stopped. I looked over and swore I saw Matt. I looked over again and sure enough…it was him.

Magnus looked at me and then in the direction I was staring. I couldn’t even take my eyes off of him. What was he doing to me?

“Mallory?” Magnus’ voice broke me out of my trance and I turned to look at him, “You okay?”

“It’s…it’s…him”

“Who?”

“Matt…”

“Mallory…” Matt stood there looking at me then at Magnus, who towered over me, and who was a lot bigger than Matt.

“Hi…what the hell are you doing here?”

“I needed to see you”

“I don’t want to see you? Did you not get the hint? I’m sure Allison is missing you”

“Allison is just…”

“What?”

“She’s not you”

I looked over at Magnus, he had no idea what he was supposed to say.

“Matt…I--”

“Come out with me tonight…we’ll talk…”

“I have plans tonight” I replied, “with Magnus”

Matt glared at Magnus and he just stood his ground. Already he was protective of me, and I was glad for that. No one was getting to me unless they got through Magnus.

“Him?”

“Problem with me?” Magnus asked taking a step forward. I just stuck my arm out and kept him from going any further. He looked down at me and let his guard down.

“Matt, I think you need to go”

“Fine…I’m not giving up on you Mal”

“Fine”

He walked out of the store and I just sighed as I folded the last shirt in my hand. Magnus just looked down at me with concern and I just walked behind the counter. The store was dead, there wasn’t a soul. He leaned up against the counter and l just stared at him, “What?”

“He hurt you…I can see it”

“Can you?” I smirked.

“I’m serious Mallory…”

“He’s not a part of my life anymore”

“I don’t think he agrees”

“Well he’ll get over it”

“I don’t want to see you get hurt”

“I can take care of myself Mags” I replied, “I’m a big girl”

“You’ve never called me that before”

“Oh…” I felt my face get red, “Um…it just came out…”

“It’s okay” he smirked, “I like it”

I just smiled and turned around to clean up around the cash. The store was closing soon and Magnus and I were meeting Taylor for dinner and then going back to our place. Quiet night in, exactly what I needed.

I checked my phone and Taylor informed me that he wasn’t able to make it for dinner, but that he’d be home by the time we got back.

“Taylor’s not coming” I said.

“So it’s just us?” he smirked.

“Just us” I smiled.

Magnus and I went out the front door as I turned off the lights and locked it behind me. I threw my bag over my shoulder and walked with Magnus down the street. We ended up going to this small Italian place, where I just ended up getting a small plate of pasta…that I barely touched.

He just sighed, “Don’t let him get to you”

“He didn’t, when he wasn’t in the city. You know, he could just show up at any time”

“He’s not getting to you while I’m around” he smirked.

I just chuckled and took a sip of my water, “You’re awful protective of me”

“It’s an instinct” he shrugged, “You’re like a sister…”

The word sister cut through me. Just a sister? That’s all he saw? I don’t know why this was such a big deal, he’s just a friend, right? Plus, a relationship is just not in the cards for me right now.

“Yah” I tried to fake a smile.

“You ready to go?” he asked, “doesn’t look like you’ll be eating much more of that”

“Yah, let’s get out of here”

We took the long way back home, and talked. The whole sister thing stuck in the back of my mind. Why was it bothering me so much?

We got back home and sure enough Taylor was lounging on the couch watching tv. I looked at him then back at Magnus, “Can I talk to you for a second Tay?”

“Sure” he shrugged.

“I’ll be in the kitchen” Magnus said walking away.

“You were here the whole time weren’t you?”

“I was not!”

“I’m not stupid Taylor” I snapped, “I know you”

He just smirked, “I’m sorry, I just didn’t feel like going out for dinner, plus, I thought it would be better for you two to spend some time together”

“Why? Cause he likes me!? He doesn’t okay? He said I’m like a sister to him”

“Oh…sorry Mal, I thought--”

“You thought wrong Tay. I know you mean well, but Matt is still…he’s in Edmonton”

“He’s--I’ll kill him”

“You will do no such thing” Taylor’s aunt said coming out of the kitchen, “By the way, your friend Magnus here is an absolute sweetheart” Magnus came out of the kitchen and his face turned beat red.

“I uh--I…umm, nahh…”

“Don’t be so modest” she said.

He just half smiled and sat down on the couch. I sat next to him and smirked, “Don’t let her get to you, she’s like that with everyone”

He smirked and I just leaned back on the couch, “So Magnus, you and Julie are…?”

“Friends” I said quickly, “…just friends”

The entire room went silent and I felt my face get hot. I silently sat back as everyone started to talk again, “Are you okay?” Magnus asked, “Something seems to be bothering you”

“How do you know?”

He just shrugged, “I can just tell”

“Can we talk…outside?”

“Sure”

“We’ll be outside” I said to everyone as Magnus and I left the room. We sat on the front porch of the house, and he spoke first.

“Is this about--”

I cut him off before he could say anymore, “Here’s the thing. I find you incredibly attractive, and I think you’re the sweetest guy I know, and the fact that you feel like I’m only a sister to you…really hurts”

“Whoa…you like me?”

“I uh--I didn’t say that”

“So you don’t?”

“I didn’t say that either”

“Well which is it Mallory”

At this point, I don’t even know. What have I gotten myself into?

2 comments: