he ruined her, destroyed her when she needed him the most.

she decides to follow her best friend to Edmonton,

where she meets one who she believes is different from the rest,

but realizes that he might be the exact opposite.



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

this is it - one

I needed to get out of this town. My parents were just getting too hard to handle. I didn’t live at home anymore, but it still felt like I did. The divorce was just about finalized, and they were still calling me, bitching to me about each other, trying to plot me one against the other. Maybe if I leave Windsor all together, they can learn to tolerate each other on their own.

Taylor was my best friend, and he was headed up to Edmonton for the Oilers training camp. I was so proud of him, he’s worked his entire life for this, he’s finally going to achieve his dream of being in the NHL.

Taylor knew about my issues with my family, and knew that I have been wanting to get out of Windsor since I graduated. He’s been doing all he can to help me to get out.

“Mallory!” I heard him come up behind me while I was stocking shelves at work. I had a job at Wal-Mart. Nothing special, but it got me the money I needed for now.

“Hey! Wasn’t expecting you” I smiled, “What’s up?”

“You’re getting out of here”

“What!?”

“You’re coming to Edmonton with me. You’ll stay with me, I even got you a job up there. Friend of a friend owns the Oilers merch store and is happy to give you a job”

I was a bit stunned. This was all happening a little too fast.

“Taylor…that’s…amazing!” I exclaimed wrapping my arms around him, “I can’t believe you did that!”

“Only for you” he smiled.

“When do you leave for training camp?”

“Tomorrow” he replied.

“What!?”

“I talked to your boss, you quit about five minutes ago”

“Taylor…you--this is insane!”

He just smirked, “It’s what I do. Let’s get back to your place and pack your stuff”

He grabbed my hand and practically dragged me towards my boss’ office. I took off my vest and nametag and set it in front of his door. I left the building and didn’t look back. Mallory Perkins was finished with Wal-Mart, and with Windsor.

I got home and collapsed onto my bed as Taylor rushed into my closet to grab my things.

“We’re really doing this” I said staring up at the ceiling.

“Yupp” he replied, “It’ll be fun”

“I agree. I can finally get away from my parents. And the ex”

“Don’t even mention him. His name makes me sick”

“I know, I know” I nodded, “He’s part of the reason I hate this place…no offence”

“None taken” he smirked sitting beside me, “You’re really sure this is what you want?”

“Definitely”

I just smiled as I began to pack my things into my bag. Taylor helped as I wrote up a note for my landlord, telling him that I’m leaving, and not coming back, along with my last month’s rent.

We packed the things into the back of Taylor’s car and drove to his place. I’d stay the night there, so I could get an early start with him in the morning. I’m moving to Edmonton, this is for real.

Waking up the next morning was brutal. I was dead tired, and not prepared to take a flight. I threw my hair up in a bun, put on my Spitfires hoodie, a pair of black yoga pants and my black flats and I was out the door.

As I stared out into the rearview mirror it was all starting to hit me. This was still my home, as much as I wanted to get out. I had a life here, and it was a bit harder to leave than I thought it was going to be. I felt a few tears hit my cheeks as I watched the city pass me by.

“You okay?” Taylor asked.

“Fine” I said wiping my tears away quickly, “this was a bit harder than I thought it would be”

“It’s going to be okay Mal, we’ll be back I’m sure” he smirked.

“Yah…true”

“Just think of this as a new beginning. New place, new city, new friends”

“You’re right” I smiled, “Edmonton…Edmonton…”

Edmonton. Here we come.

1 comment:

  1. squeeee!!
    Taylor sounds like an awesome friend. I think its going to be a rough adjustment for Mallory though. write moorreee :)

    ReplyDelete