he ruined her, destroyed her when she needed him the most.

she decides to follow her best friend to Edmonton,

where she meets one who she believes is different from the rest,

but realizes that he might be the exact opposite.



Thursday, October 7, 2010

i had sworn to myself that i was content with loneliness - two

Getting to Edmonton was a little surreal. We were staying with some of Taylor’s family for now, which was good. We decided to give me some time to get used to the city before I went in for my interview.

Taylor and the other Oilers prospects were doing all the physical training and medicals today. I decided to take a walk around the city and then meet Taylor in a couple hours at Rexall Place.

The city was kind of mesmerizing, it was just so much bigger than Windsor. I was never a big city girl, so it was going to take some getting used to, but I do think I am going to like it. It’s the perfect escape.

I made it to Rexall Place and ended up waiting in the front lobby. I watched as a few players filed out bit by bit. Finally, I saw Taylor, along with another player that I can’t say I recognized.

“Hey Mal” Taylor said giving me a quick peck on the cheek, “This is Magnus, Magnus this is Mallory”

“Hey” I smiled.

“Hi” he nodded.

“He was going to come with us, if that’s okay with you”

“Yah, sure thing” I replied.

“There’s a party tonight, with a few of the guys, and he was going to tag along”

“That’s fine” I nodded.

We got to Taylor’s car and I let Magnus take shotgun. This kid was creeping me out a little bit to be honest. He was way too quiet when I tried to talk to him, but when Taylor talked to him it seemed easy. I didn’t even realize Taylor was that funny. I don’t even think he knew that.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, it was Matt. The ex. I hadn’t really told him that I left. He was probably wondering where I was.

“Hello?”

“Where the hell did you end up going?”

“I went to Edmonton, and to be honest it’s not really any of your business” I snapped.

“Why did you go?”

“Why do you think Matt? I was sick of that place, I was sick of you, and I was sick of my parents, so I left”

“You’re such a drama queen”

“And you’re a jackass” I replied hanging up.

“Who was that?” asked Taylor.

“Matt…”

“He’s still calling you?”

“Yes” I huffed, “I should just learn to stop answering”

“He’s a scumbag, I’ll kill him myself”

“Don’t talk like that” I replied, “I can take care of this”

“If he tries anything--”

“I know Taylor, just…it’s fine”

He just sighed and kept driving. He never liked Matt from the beginning. It was his charm and personality that drew me in, and also his rugged good looks. Damn his good looks. Soon his temper just started to get really bad, and I got sick of being the one he took it out on.

We stopped for lunch and I was pretty quiet the entire time. I poked at my food, but barely had a bite. As the waiter came by, I told him to just box it up, maybe I’ll eat it at home.

“I’ll go pay the bill” Taylor said, “be right back”

I was sitting across from Magnus and he was playing with his cell phone. It was an awkward moment, I don’t blame him.

“So where are you from?” I asked.

He looked up at me and looked around as if he didn’t believe I was talking to him, “Oh…Sweden”

“That’s really cool, you’ve been playing hockey for a while?”

He just nodded, “Since I was little”

“That’s cool. I’ve been watching Taylor play for years”

“So you…grow up together?”

You could tell that he was still struggling with his English. It was kind of cute. Wait, what am I saying?

“Yah, our parents were best friends, so we’ve pretty much known each other from birth. He’s like my big brother” I smirked, “So protective”

“I could tell, in the car, with…Matt?”

“Yah…he’s my ex, Taylor never liked him”

“The way you talked to him, he doesn’t seem nice”

“He’s not anymore” I sighed, “He’s different, he’s changed”

“Ready to go?” Taylor asked coming up to the table.

“Yah, definitely” I replied standing up.

We got back to the car and dropped Magnus off. I climbed into the front seat and looked over at Taylor who had this shit-eating grin on his face.

“What’s your problem?” I asked.

“You guys seemed to hit it off” he replied.

“Who? Me and Magnus? Dude, he’s cool but--”

“But what? He was asking about you”

“Seriously?” I replied, “He’s not really my type, he’s just really quiet, and he just seems a little odd…”

“Oh come on, he’s really cool. He’s still working on his English, and he’s new to Canada in general, cut him some slack”

“I’ll be his friend Taylor, but a relationship is just not in the cards for me right now…”

He just sighed, “Fine, I guess you’re right”

“Thank you. He’s a nice kid, but I just don’t think we’d click”

He just shrugged, “If you say so”

My heart is just not in a state to be loved. One little thing could shatter it. I just don’t think love is really for me anyways. I’ve never really seen it work out with anyone, so tell me…what’s the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment